The father received a call on his cell phone about the fire and immediately rushed home. On his way back, he rolled his vehicle in the intersection of Central Avenue and Enterprise Road.
The man freed himself from the vehicle that was upside-down in a ditch and ran a half-mile home to be reunited with his children, who had exited the home when they smelled smoke, police said.
Medics evaluated the man and transported him to a local hospital with minor injuries, according to officials.
Prince George's County Firefighters arrived at the townhome in the 100 block of Old Enterprise Road around 10:45 a.m. and quickly extinguished the flames. A dog that was in the basement was also rescued.